Sunday, January 14, 2007

Biographical Sketch

Hello, my name is Holly Siler. I’m an Elementary Education major and I’m also interested in getting my certificate to be able to teach Social Studies in the Middle School environment. Hopefully someday I’ll either be teaching upper elementary, 4th or 5th graders, or working at a middle school trying to get kids interested in History.

I’m a sophomore here at IPFW and just recently turned twenty. Last year I lived on campus at student housing, but this year I’m living back at home in my hometown of Goshen, which is about an hour north-west of Fort Wayne. This will be my second semester that is completely online and I’m really enjoying it.

Back in my hometown I work full-time at a retirement community called Greencroft. I get the fun job of working with insurance claims and keeping all the paperwork up to the state’s standards. I really enjoy my job mostly because of all the interaction I get with the elderly residents. I find them all so interesting with their own life stories and adventures!

I also coach cheerleading for Goshen Middle School. I enjoy this so much because I get to work with the age of girls that I hope to someday be teaching. It’s such an interesting age when they’re starting to have real-life problems and learning how to deal. It’s great to be able to help them through the problems I’ve had to go through and be a role-model.

2 comments:

Worth Weller said...

probably an education paper - how to teach SS to otherwise bored 7th graders!

and of course there are gerontology papers too

SShipley said...

Yeah, good luck with teaching history to middle schoolers. My son is in 7th grade and his least favorite-Social Studies. I feel sorry for his teacher. She tries.

I was thinking the same as Professor Weller, that maybe there are some debates about how Social Studies should be tackled in education. I know the way they have been doing it doesn't work. Maybe you have some fresh ideas at what would work being that you are a youngin'.